Sunday, March 3, 2019

I know, I know....

It’s been a while and while I have sat down many times to update, it never happened.  So… here you go.

Surgery:
All went well. Well, once they got that damn IV in.  Finally went in on the 4th attempt.  I was a pin cushion.  1 nurse tried twice, another tried once and FINALLY, the nurse anesthesiologist nailed it.  Melissa, the surgical nurse held my hand and I probably bruised it.  And yes, I cried.  However, once it was in, I was happy.  I think I told Billy I was getting a 30-day cruise.  All I remember is a strained look.  I would like to add that I am so glad Nurse Mike was NOT there.  The IV had nothing to do with the nurse but everything to do with me and he would have felt bad. Even Dr Lynn felt bad.  Yes, it was that bad 😊

I ended up on the 2nd floor for the night.  Lost that one.  I thought I was going home.  As always, the nurses rocked.  They let me pace myself and trusted me to do my own walking.  Yes, I had to walk.  In order to get the tubes and ovaries out, they have to fill you will gas.  If you remain laying down, the gas goes to the shoulder area and you are in pain.  So, I walked.  And walked. And walked.  All. Night. Long. 

As I mentioned, all went well.  Results were what Dr Lynn and Dr Kotz expected.  However, Dr Lynn was impressed as it had been 5cm when she had done the ultrasound in October and when she took it out it was 1cm.  Of course, she was impressed as all the other nodes around the main one attached to it so it was one big blob.  She said she has never seen that.  I continue with the Gold Stars.

Recovery:
This was the hardest recovery I ever had. For some reason I thought it would be a breeze.  But did not happen the way I thought it would.  The tram was hard, but that was expected, and I improved all the time.  Surgery was on Friday and I was good until Monday.  Then just felt lousy and I was determined to get the drain out Thursday.  Let’s just say it had to stay in until the following Monday.  I felt better once it was out but then got a fever that Wednesday.  From a cold. Not the surgery.  Whew.  I was wiped the entire time. 

Work: 
I went back for 25 hours the first week—Feb 3rd.  I did well and while I still was not feeling it, I could leave early.  The next 2 weeks I was a bit over, but also realizing that maybe I was over doing it.  Last week I finally worked a full week—even got 1.5 hours comp but have come to the realization that I might have to take some time in the afternoons.  Luckily, I have an understanding Director and a great staff.  And before I hear anything, we are down a person.  I did get to the point during a longer day last week in which I was just done, and the books were not going anywhere.  I will be listening to my body this week (and more I am sure) and if I am done, then I am done.

A few random things:
·        The fear of losing movement in my left arm was unfounded.  I even showed Dr Lynn who was impressed.  She was looking at rehab based on my right arm which is not good.
·        Sleeping was awful as the drain was in the way and the left arm was numb.  Once the drain was out and I was not on it, it still took 3 weeks before I could sleep semi normal. 
·        Lupron.  Due to the whole losing the ovaries and tubes, I no longer need the shot.  I cannot express how much better I feel without that shot.  It is amazing.
·        Fatigue factor.  Between the surgery and the Ibrance, I have nothing to give.  Before the surgery I had actually  complained to Dr Kotz about the fatigue (he was floored) and he lowered it to 100mg from 125mg.  So far, I have not seen a difference and I am just so very, very tired. No need to tell me I look tired.  There are many who already have. Including Mae Ling.  I know, she is my mother, but still. 
·        Speaking of Ibrance, my hair is thinning a bit—nothing big but it is coming out a few strands a day.  Dr Kotz laughed when I said, no biggie, I have the wigs and I know where they are too.  
·        The elephant in Dr Kotz’s office this past Wednesday.  My White Blood Cell (WBC).  It like tanked.  To the point of I got the if you get a fever you call me immediately talk.  I have to go back on the 13th for another blood draw to see if it has improved. If it has, I continue on the 100mg Ibrance. If not, he will lower it again.
·        I am still getting the Faslodex shots- 2 every 4 weeks. They literally are a pain in the ass.  But it keeps me above ground so there is that.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for the calls, the cards, cupcakes, etc. but most importantly the prayers. I keep repeating myself, but it is so humbling. 

2 comments:

  1. Sweet Liza - you are prayed for - and loved - more than you'll ever know.
    Ada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a part of the prayers Bill and I say every breakfast and every dinner. We love you.

    ReplyDelete